Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Tree of Hands by Ruth Rendell - age does not wither these books

The Tree of Hands by Ruth Rendell



I have been reading Ruth Rendell all my adult life – as with many of my favourite authors, I came to her via my mother, to whom I also owe a lifetime allegiance to P.D. James, Lynne Reid Banks and Alison Lurie. 

I read and re-read Ruth Rendell with such pleasure.  She never wastes words but creates a completely believable cast of characters who move in and out of each other’s lives, weaving a plot and story that captivates.

This is probably a third reading for me of ‘The Tree of Hands’, I’d forgotten some of the details of the ending, but the main thrust of the story of the loss and replacement of a child came back to me as soon as I started the novel again, but Ruth Rendell is such a skilful writer that it doesn’t matter how many times you hear the story, you are still carried away by the words.  I think one of the things I admire most about her as a writer is that she creates characters that you feel you have met, I always feel that they are floating at the edge of my subconscious, that woman in the dry cleaners or the doctor I sat next to at a party, and you get sucked into their world so that every action and decision that they take seems completely rational and understandable.

To call ‘The Tree of Hands’ a crime novel is to sell it short, it is more of an exploration of people’s lives, how they get into messes,  how disaster occurs and how people cope with the spreading repercussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment