Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Best of Friends By Joanna Trollope - Never a good idea to fan old teenage love into life


The Best of Friends By Joanna Trollope




As you can see a bit of a Joanna Trollope binge – and like all binges left me feeling a bit bloated and I wish I hadn’t done that – or in this case hadn’t read Joanna Trollope’s back to back – too much of a good thing.

The Best of Friends is about two couples where a husband and wife from the two different marriages have been best friends since bonding as teenagers.  When Gina’s marriage unravels she turns to her old friend Laurence and his wife Hilary for support – I’m going to put a row of dots here mentally as you can of course guess what happens next – though not necessarily the ending.  I have to say my sympathies are completely with Hilary and I will be treating any longstanding female friend of my husband’s who reappears in emotional need with grave suspicion – but maybe I am just an embittered reader of too many ‘Aga Sagas’.

Much though I do like her ability to conjure up a cocoon of a world I will leave it a bit before hitting another Joanna Trollope.  Like Lisa Genova, she is someone I have heard speak, on a cold, dark, wet (but not stormy) night in the Rye Reading Room in New York State, where she talked about her new novel of the time ‘Brother and Sister’ dealing with adoption and the search for birth parents.  She was another author who was really engaging about both the subject matter and the novel – one of the comments she made that has stayed with me is that usually when she does these talks people want to talk about the book, but when she did this particular tours, there was a large section of the audience who wanted to talk about adoption and finding parents and who would quiz her as if she was an expert, a real demonstration of the emotional dramas swirling for so many people around adoption and birth parentage.

No comments:

Post a Comment