Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Not That Kind of Girl - makes me feel my age


Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham


This was a Christmas present from my 20 year old daughter who absolutely loved it.  I was thus very well disposed to Lena Dunham and laughed, laughed quite a lot in fact when reading my way through this collection of essays dealing with the themes of Love & Sex, Body, Friendship, Work and Big Picture, but I didn’t have that immediate sense of connection that I have say when I read Nora Ephron where I go “I want you as my friend, you are speaking directly to me, so in fact we are friends already.” 

I think part of the lack of connect as it were is that Lena Dunham is 28 and actually the person I felt the most empathy with, and curiosity about, was her mother – maybe it’s because I am that stage of dealing with challenging teenagers time of life – though not possibly as challenging as Lena sounds as if she might have been and I mean challenging in the nicest possible, intelligent, pushing the boundaries, imaginative, but frankly exhausting kind of way.

I finished the book with great respect for the way in which Lena Dunham is happy to share any experience that strikes her as worthy – aside from making me laugh some bits made me squirm, but that’s where the bravery of revelation comes in I guess- most of us sweep those kind of things under our mental carpets – she puts it centre stage and whips its clothes off, as a reader I was shouting ‘Bravo’ whilst covering my eyes with my hands and peeping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment