Monday, January 12, 2015

And in the beginning - Mark Zuckerberg and me


Mark Zuckerberg has declared that 2015 is going to be the Year of Books so far as he is concerned, and as I am always one to jump on a bandwagon, particularly a wagon pulled by a billionaire of our times, this has prompted me to start a reading diary of the year.

The words ‘reading diary’ conjure up Kindergarten homework and the meticulous recording of pages completed, however as the title of this blog suggests I am a book in the bath, chocolate to hand and preferably a glass of wine somewhere nearby, rather than a rigid recorder of pages read.

I am a reader, perhaps more than anything else that defines me.  Our house overflows with books, I brush my teeth whilst reading and if I can get away with it do the washing up with book to side.  My key criteria for anywhere we live is that it has to be walking distance from somewhere I can get a decent coffee and in close proximity to a library and a bookstore – banks, bakers and butchers and the other mundane necessities of life can wait their turn in the pecking order.

My tastes go across most genres from Sci-Fi to RomCom, classic to trash.  The only genre I tend to avoid is horror as I prefer to be able to sleep at night without worrying too much about what is about to emerge from behind the curtain.  If I don’t have a book on the go, I feel twitchy and bereft, however I am a great believer in the charms of re-reading and will happily re-read Agatha Christies with complete recall of plot, just for the sheer pleasure of entering the cosily familiar world of Poirot or Miss Marple.

The majority of my friends are readers too, and we always end up in “What are you reading at the moment?”  discussions and I love discovering new authors – so as I go through the year, please let me know what you are reading, what you are loving, and what you are throwing across the room - or out of the bath.


No comments:

Post a Comment