Monday, February 9, 2015

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty - but to tell the truth I loved it


Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty




I read The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty last year and loved it.  Liane Moriarty has the curious distinction of being a New York Times Bestseller author multiple times but is almost unknown – though that is gradually changing – in Australia.  I really enjoyed The Husband’s Secret, and started Big Little Lies thinking in my cynical way, “oh yeah”, story about school mums set in a fictionalised version of the Northern Beaches in Sydney, a sort of Desperate Housewives at the school gates, but then I just got sucked in, started rooting for the various characters and was engrossed by the whole thing.  I love the fact her books do so well in the US because they are very identifiably set in Sydney and there is a real feel to the setting – but I guess they are universal characters and from a personal perspective I find it so reassuring that if you write great characters and scenes, you can set your book wherever you like and people will want to read it – and that about sums up Liane Moriarty or the two books I’ve read, great stories that you’ll find yourself sneaking off to read another chapter of – always my mark of readability ever since I used to hover round my mother’s  side of the bed, desperate to get my paws on the next chapter of ‘The Famous Five’ that she used to read out aloud to us.

So if you are Australian, go and read, buy, borrow this book – Liane Moriarty deserves to be more well known here – and besides I’ve decided I love her sense of humour and I want her as my new best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment